There are lots of things you can do to enjoy a serene and positive morning. Try these six calming techniques to improve your mental focus, boost your energy levels and make each morning a lot brighter.
Perform Gentle Stretches
Stretching is a great way to alleviate tense muscles. Interestingly, exercise also helps you get rid of stress. Here’s how to do a simple shoulder stretch using a chair:
- Move forward to the edge of the chair (but make sure you still have stability).
- Place your arms behind you and lock your fingers around the back of the chair.
- Lean forward until you feel a gentle stretch.
- Hold this position for 15–30 seconds, or whatever is comfortable.
As you activate your muscles, it purges excess stress hormones and releases calming endorphins instead. These natural painkillers even improve your flexibility and reduce inflammation.
Play Relaxing Music
Slow, gentle music has tremendous power to release anxiety naturally. A soft piano melody or beauty acoustic guitar arrangement can evoke positive emotions and make you think of a gorgeous meadow with flowers. This has a physical effect on your stress hormones, releasing a neurochemical called dopamine that gives you a sensation of happiness and euphoria.
Try Easy Aromatherapy
You don’t have to visit a spa to enjoy the soothing power of scents. Aromatherapy can be as easy as placing fresh flowers on your bedside table. Candles and oil diffusers are also popular. Choose a scent that brings to mind positive memories. For some people, lavender, basil and eucalyptus have this effect. Smelling a fresh lemon can help lower your stress, too.
Do a Few Deep Breathing Exercises
Shallow breathing makes your brain think you’re not getting enough oxygen. This triggers a stress response that speeds up your heart rate. The solution? Take a moment each morning to breathe deeply. Here’s how:
- Lie on your back in a comfortable position or sit in a chair with your neck resting against the back of the chair.
- Close your lips and inhale deeply through your nostrils.
- Some people find it relaxing to place their hands on their chest or belly. It depends on your personal preferences.
- As you breathe deeply, you should feel the lower part of your chest expand as it fills with air.
- Slowly exhale from your mouth, blowing gently outwards.
Filling your lungs with oxygen in this way can naturally start to slow your pulse and make you feel more relaxed. It’s as if you’re letting go of stress with each breath.
Eat a Healthy Breakfast
Certain foods give your brain a nutrient boost. If you’re feeling brain fog frequently, you may be missing essential vitamins. Now’s the perfect time to fall in love with avocado toast for breakfast. Avocados are packed with healthy fats, antioxidants and potassium for increasing mental performance. Walnuts and blueberries are also stellar choices.
Focus on Happy Memories
The emotions you feel are usually directly related to what you think about. If you wake up in the morning with anxiety, try not to dwell on worries. Of course, to get rid of these negative feelings, you need to replace them with something positive. A happy memory with loved ones is the perfect choice.
Before you know it, you’ve forgotten about stress and you’re ready to start the day on with a smile on your face. Some people enjoy reading a favorite book or inspirational quotes in the morning for the same reason.