Get rid of those winter chills with five hearty soups. Each recipe can feed an entire family.
1. Bacon Potato Corn Chowder
Are you looking for a hearty soup to warm you up? Look no further than Taste of Home's Bacon Potato Corn Chowder.
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, Yukon Gold, cubed and peeled
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 can cream corn
- 1 can milk, evaporated
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bacon should be cooked over medium heat in a large skillet until crisp. Once crisp, remove the bacon and place it on a paper towel. Except for 1-1/2 teaspoon, the drippings can be discarded. Add onion to the remaining drippings and cook until tender.
- Boil potatoes in a large pot, allow water to cover them. Bring the ingredients to a boil using high heat, and then reduce to medium heat and cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until tender. Reserve one cup of potato water, draining the rest.
- Combine corn, potatoes, milk, salt, pepper, and reserved water to a saucepan, heating thoroughly. Add the onion and bacon.
2. Turkey Sausage, Butternut Squash, and Kale Soup
For those looking to make a meal out of a soup dish, the Taste of Home TBK soup delivers. Once again, you can have a fulfilling meal ready in under 30 minutes.
- 2 cartons chicken broth, reduce sodium, 32 oz each
- 1 butternut squash, about 3 lbs, cubed and peeled.
- 1 pack turkey sausage links, Italian, casings removed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1 bunch of kale, coarsely chopped and trimmed
- Over medium heat, cook the sausage, about eight to 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Once cooked, break into pieces.
- Add broth and squash to the pot and bring it to a boil. Stir in the kale. Reduce the heat, allowing the soup to simmer until veggies are tender, approximately 20 minutes. Top with cheese.
3. Tomato Hamburger Soup
This recipe makes about 12 servings. The best part is it uses a slow cooker, meaning it is a set it and forget it type of meal.
- 2 packages of mixed vegetables, frozen, about 16 oz each
- 1 pound ground beef, drained and cooked
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, condensed, undiluted
- 1 can V8 juice (46 oz)
- 2 teaspoons minced onion, dried
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Combine the first five ingredients in a five-quart slow cooker. Cook covered on high for a minimum of four hours. Season with pepper and salt.
4. Simple Chicken Soup
Chicken soup and winter seem to go hand-in-hand. This recipe only takes a total of 20 minutes, and make six servings.
- 1 package mixed vegetables, frozen
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup, reduced-sodium, reduced-fat, undiluted
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked, cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced onion, dried
- Combine broth and onion in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the vegetables, covering and cooking for an additional 8 minutes. Stir in soup and chicken, heating through.
5. Easy Chili
While there are plenty of chili recipes out there, this is by far the easiest. In 30 minutes, you will have enough chili for four.
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes with diced chiles
- 15 ounces chili beans, undrained
- Optional toppings of your choosing
- Cook ground beef until no longer pink in a three-quart pot and drain the grease.
- Combine with other ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low for four to six hours.
What are your favorite winter soups? Comment below.